The tournament will be played using 2019 STLWAA 8u rules with a couple adjustments. Player must be seven years old on 5/1/19.
· Team should be ready to play 30 minutes prior to schedule time, in case a game concludes ahead of schedule.
· Game length 1 hour and 15 minutes, max runs per inning (7), and Mercy rules apply (15 runs after 3IP / 12 runs after 4IP / 10 runs after 5IP). Pool games may end in a tie. Bracket play games may not end in a tie as a winner must be determined. Bracket games tied with time expired or after 7 innings, will follow the STLWAA rule for ties.
· Home team determined by coin flip and is the scorebook on record for the game.
· Protests will be handled immediately by the Tournament Director and the Umpire in Chief, and their decisions are final.
· The park will provide 2 baseballs for each game.
· Rec Division - do not run on over throws to 1B only. May run on over throws to other bases. Will get 7 pitches or put ball in play (no called 3rd strike swinging)
· A team forfeiting a game during the tournament is ineligible for any championship round games, but they will be allowed to complete their remaining games pool games.
Scores must be posted at the bulletin board by the concession stand and e-mailed to the Tournament Director (email@example.com). The winning manager is responsible for reporting the score. If the score is not reported it will be recorded as a forfeit for both teams. All managers should check the posted scores to ensure there are no discrepancies.
If tie breakers are needed after pool play to seed teams they will be applied as follows (standard tournament/USSSA rule):
Head to Head (only if two teams are tied)
Fewest Runs Allowed
Run Differential (+ or – 8 runs max per game)
Teams should check e-mail, the PAA website (www.pondathletic.com) throughout the tournament for updates.
7U Machine Pitch Tournament Rules
10 fielders in the field (free substitution) and continuous roster batting lineup. Teams can play with as few as 8 players without penalty. If playing with 7 players, the 8th spot in lineup will be considered an out. 6 players the team must forfeit the contest.
01. Swinging Strikes only, each batter gets 7 pitches. Foul off 7th pitch, batter gets another chance.
02. The umpire with the agreement of both managers will set the adjustment of the machine. If an agreement cannot be reached, the umpire will set the pitching machine. The speed setting will be checked after every (1/2) inning by the plate or field umpire. If the machine is not properly adjusted, then the umpire can immediately re-adjust it.
03. The defensive player playing the pitcher’s position must have one foot INSIDE the circle at the time the ball is pitched. Player may leave the circle once the ball has left the machine.
04. A team may only play ONE defensive player at the pitcher position.
05. The manager/coach will drop the ball into the machine for their own team when it is their turn at bat.
06. The coach dropping the balls into the pitching machine cannot leave the immediate area of the
pitching machine. (The coach may not run with the base runners coaching them and confusing the defense). Base runners are to be coached by the first and third base coaches only.
07. Before dropping the ball into the machine the manager/coach will hold the ball over their head, and make eye contact with the batter.
08. The machine and safety screen, if used, will be in play and the ball live. If the ball becomes lodged in, under, or behind the screen, or power supply, or stops in the eight foot (8’) circle it will be considered out of play and runners will be awarded one base. Note: Machine is considered the pitching rubber for the purpose of applying the rule. Therefore, if the ball hits the machine and rolls foul before being touched by another player and before passing either first or third base, it is a foul ball.
09. If the offensive manager/coach deliberately hinders the defensive team in fielding a batted ball, the batter is declared out.
(a) If the ball accidentally hits the individual feeding the machine, it will be treated as if the ball hit the umpire. It is a dead ball. Batter is awarded first base and any other runners advance one base only if forced.
10. No walks or hit batsmen allowed; hits and strikeouts only. Strikes can be called or swinging.
11. No bunting allowed.
12. The catcher need not hold the ball on the third strike.
13. Infield fly rule is not in effect.
14. When a batted ball hit out of the infield is returned to and is in the possession of an infielder, the pitcher or the catcher, the runners may not advance past the base they are running to.
15. No leadoffs or base stealing is allowed. PENALTY: Runners caught leading off shall be declared out. Runner must keep their foot on the base until the ball is hit.
16. After seven (7) runs are scored in any half (1/2) inning, or when three (3) outs are made, whichever shall first occur, that half inning of play shall be concluded. In the event that the seventh (7th) run is attained from continuous play, only the seventh (7th) run shall be the last counted. 7th inning, max runs 15.
17. One (1) defensive coach will be allowed to stand by the catcher to help coach the catcher and return the ball to the individual feeding the machine. NOTE: The coach should allow the catcher to retrieve ball and hand off to the coach.